1 Nov 2015

Rock Those Socks Make-Along - Knitting.....A few Things I've Learned Along the Way

Evening all :-)
Well, it's been a bit of a roller coaster week here. 
Not been well. 
Couldn't quite work out why I've been feeling so worn out.
All.
Of.
The.
Time....
Now I know! 
It's easily fixed....YAY!!!!
Anyways enough of that crap....
Let's talk socks!!!
I've finally finished my knitted socks :-)))
Happy doesn't quite describe it!
Proud as Punch is nearer the mark.
I followed the instructions over on Sarah's blog, Crafts from the Cwtch HERE.
Much swearing and tantrum throwing went into the making of these socks.
They are not perfect.
I fact they contain numerous mistakes. 
BUT... I love them :-)


I used Scheepjes Invicta Matterhorn in colour 6.
350m/100g and its made up of 70% Superwash Wool and 30% Polyamide so you can wash it at 30 degrees and should be fairly hard wearing. 

My finished socks weigh 61g so one 100g ball is plenty to make a decent sized pair. Mine fit a UK size 5 foot. 


Like I said...lots of mistakes ;-)
But I learned a whole heap of new techniques along the way....
1. Judy's Magic Cast On

This seriously is like magic!!! 
Ok, it take a fair few goes to get it right but I managed in the end. 
I found THIS you tube clip really helpful!
2. M1L & M1R

Ok so I needed to google the instructions....but I learned another new thing!

3. Afterthought Heel

Which isn't really an afterthought as you plan where it goes....but hey! you know what I mean ;-)

4. Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off

There's a fab video tutorial HERE!

I just wished I had found it when I was casting off my pair of socks!!!!
It would've saved ripping back about 4 million times and lots of swear words ;-)
I cast mine off using the crochet method with a size 5mm hook. They are still a little on the tight side....but on the plus side....the buggers won't fall down hahaha!!!!

Lessons learned and all that ;-)

I've thoroughly enjoyed making my knitted socks. In fact I'm making more!
I think I might have a new addiction!
I feel the need to fill my sock drawer with gorgeous (I'll get there eventually!) hand made socks. 
Right.....off to sock yarn shop!

See you all next week for a full pattern release of both the plain and lace crochet socks.

Please share your progress...

On Sarah's Ravelry Group HERE!
Or on Social Media... #rockthosesocksmal

Til next time x

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS